Saturday, August 30, 2014

Last Minute Road Trip to D.C.


We're back....we went!

The night before we left I was feeling very overwhelmed and thinking that maybe I should reconsider this road trip with my 3 year old. Most of my LIFE LIST items make me a little nauseous either before, during or after and with the exception of 2 of my 'adventures' I'm always so glad and proud of myself for stepping out of what's very comfortable. It's not always easy but it's ALWAYS worth it!

On our 7 day road trip I took my little one to Annapolis Maryland, Wilmington Delaware, the Chesapeake Beach, and Washington D.C. It was a TERRIFIC time!! This was actually my 20th trip to the East Coast and I have to say it was my favorite trip to the D.C. area. We got to do so many fun things, spend some quality time with my family, and what made this trip so special was watching my daughter spend time with her family. It was so endearing to see her bond with my aunt, her cousins, my brother and even with my aunt's boyfriend who is certainly a part of our family. On top of all that, I just love taking my daughter on these little adventures, I can't believe how much she's seen and experienced in just 3.5 years- everything from riding a camel to dancing with prince charming. She is such a smart little girl and there is no doubt in my mind that the reason being is a life filled with constant new experiences, after all that's the best way to learn.

Here's a quick recap of our trip in photos!

On our very first day I got to do something that I've always wanted to do but have never been able to 'find' before....this was a total surprise LIFE LIST item: WRAP A BOA AROUND MY SHOULDERS- It was a free find on North Beach Maryland.
We had a lovely afternoon in Annapolis taking a day cruise, shopping and eating crab. 

Our second day we drove 3 hours from my Aunt's house to visit my brother and his family. It was a SPECTACULAR visit and the kids had an absolute blast playing together.  

Our third day was a doozie, I drove us into Washington D.C.- this is quite a feat and was a day filled hysterically ridiculous 'events'. It was fun, wild, exciting and I was enormously proud of myself for taking on the challenges the day brought and making it a success. As a side note...I don't care how many times I've seen the White House, I get the most thrilling feeling to be at the most iconic and important place in the USA.

This was actually the first time I got to see the Reflection Pool-I don't usually go to the Lincoln Memorial and the times I have it's been under construction or I went another way. It was a really cool sight to see and MUCH bigger than I expected. 
Our second day in D.C. we were given the VIP treatment by my Aunt's boyfriend who works at the Air and Space Smithsonian so not only did we get a personal 'tour' of D.C. but even more importantly I got to park in a very exclusive parking lot! On this day we saw a butterfly exhibit at the Museum of Natural History, saw the monuments, watched protesters, rode a carousel, and went into the  National Botanic Garden. 



On our way home from D.C. we had dinner at Abner's Crab House- THE MOST PERFECT PLACE to end our day. I LOVED this restaurant, we got to eat outside, on the water and were surrounded by fishing boats. Great company, good food, excellent service-more importantly, a unique experience.



"Whenever I'm feeling blue...I go to our Nation's Capitol." 
I said this to my sister when I told her where I was going, then I realized 3 things- that's ridiculous. It's hilarious....and it's true but it always really cheers me up!  



2 comments:

  1. Awesome pictures, sounds like a fab adventure and definitely worth doing.

    You don't look very impressed with that snake! He is a big one though.

    Bet it was nice catching up with your family. The smithsonian looks like a great museum.

    Well done on challenging yourself and getting out of your comfort zone, it's not always easy.

    p,s. I like your t-shirt, it's definitely pop and not soda, we call it pop here in the UK although we also call 'fries' chips, people looked at us funny in Mexico when we asked for chips!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that you get my shirt!!! It's such a 'thing' between northerners and southerners here!

      It was such a terrific trip, I'm very proud of myself!

      Delete

I'd really love to hear your thoughts! Comments will post after moderation.

You might also like....