Monday, July 22, 2013

Braces: a rude awakening

 I cannot believe I've had my braces for over 1 year now.

I had an appointment last week and here's what came out of it...

the good news

-My orthodontist said it could be anyone of my visits now that he will say it's time to take them off

-"Your hygiene is impeccable, if everyone was like you our lives would be a dream" Gosh I love going there, I know it's just teeth maintenance but it's always such an ego boost! Especially since I am petrified of having an decalcification. If you don't know what this is it is from not taking proper care of your teeth while wearing braces, these heinous stains appear on your teeth and CANNOT be removed. Below is a picture I found on google.



the rude awakening 

-They attached these charming little gems to 4 of my teeth...
Real attractive right? To me it looks (AND FEELS) like something from a 'Saw' movie.
-They also added 'chain' to the brackets on my lower teeth, that's the thing in between the brackets that looks like there's food stuck in my teeth. The only good thing about this chain which is an enormous amount of pressure on my lower jaw is that every time I tell someone they added the chain they say 'wow you are almost done'. So apparently this is one of the very final touches.

-They want me to wear rubber bands at night. This is unsettling for 2 reasons. 1. This is in an attempt to correct my bite, I feel like it's going to change the shape of my face, I threw a fit in the beginning about this because I think my bite if perfectly fine but I relented knowing I would just cross this bridge when we came to it...well now we're here and I don't like it! Also these rubber bands essentially keep my mouth closed...which obviously this is an attempt to kill me. Every time I put them on I feel like I'm going to suffocate, I can't control myself at night! I need to be able to sleep with my mouth WIDE OPEN so plenty of air can get through!

-The past few days my mouth has hurt so bad...like there's razor blades between my cheeks and gums and then I was punched in the face over and over again.

I'M CALLING THEM TODAY...WE NEED TO DISCUSS SOME THINGS...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, that sounds painful. I hope it has sorted itself out and the pain has eased. Those chains do not look comfortable, might help with the diet though if you can't get your mouth open;-)

    At least you are almost there though and it will be worth it in the end.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had another appointment yesterday so yet again my mouth is a little soar, Maybe 2 more months now...

      Delete

I'd really love to hear your thoughts! Comments will post after moderation.

You might also like....