Saturday, August 24, 2013

LIFE LIST: WORMSLOE PLANTATION


Where: Wormsloe Plantation and Historic Site-8 miles from Savannah's city center/historic district.



When: August 2013


Cost: $10/per person and $1 for children. Though we didn't pay since we arrived 10 minutes before close, the attendant was nice enough to let us in just inside the gates, but we didn't get a chance to drive down the 'oak avenue' or see the plantation ruins/museum.



Why this is on my list... This was the place I was most excited about when visiting Savannah so I was bummed that we didn't get the full experience. If this looks familiar to you, it should, this has been featured in several Hollywood films most notably in Forest Gump, when Jenny yells "Run Forest, Run!".



Something I'd recommend? Absolutely, if you have the chance to visit this most beautiful city, you must stop at Wormsloe. The history of this plantation includes a range of usages including cotton farming and growing food for silkworms in the hopes of turning Georgia into a large silk supplier.  The founder of this estate had a strong interest in horticulture which is what inspired him to plant these trees, 1.5 miles of live oaks hugging the avenue creating a draping canopy of Spanish moss. These trees are called 'live oaks' because they keep their leaves year round. Pictures do not do it justice enough though, it was devastatingly beautiful. We made a slight right hand turn and there it was...it was so magnificent that I could feel my heart swell up with excitement. I couldn't believe I was there. This picturesque scenery I've seen thousands of times in magazines and movies and I was there. I could have spent an entire day gazing at each of the 400 trees planted along the ally.

I have to say that I think this is the most beautiful place I've even seen in the continental US.



Will I do it again? YES! It wasn't due to poor planning that we arrived late, it's that everything seemed to close or halt at 5h so we had to cram in everything inside the city first because we knew we'd have to drive here and we had paid to use the Trolley around the city for the day. I actually feel really blessed to just have seen the entrance but what I really wanted to do was drive down the 1.5 mile path of these Antebellum Oaks. Of course I also would have appreciated seeing what was left the fortified plantation and learning more of the history behind this most enchanting place in the world.





Related posts:

1.To Go Cocktails
2.Eat at Paula Dean's Restaurant 
3.Stay at a charming B&B
4.Take a Pedicab Ride
5.Visit Savannah Georgia
6.Our wonderful 10 day vacation down south

The Ultimate Life List is on facebook....please 'LIKE' it to stay easily connected!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, shame you didn't get to see it all fully, but at least you can do it next time around.

    Your so right though, everything seems to close at 5pm and so you have to fit so much in!

    It does look beautiful though. Also thanks for saying about it, i didn't realise they had used that in Forest Gump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I felt like I was really restricted by the time, which was a major bummer, the 2 evenings we were there we kind of just lounged around our B&B, had these sites been open later we could have done more, but now I know for next time!

      Delete

I'd really love to hear your thoughts! Comments will post after moderation.

You might also like....