Sunday, December 1, 2013

LIFE LIST: GO TO THE TOP OF THE GATEWAY ARCH


"A lot of people are afraid of heights. 
Not me, I’m afraid of widths.”

Where: Gateway Arch, St Louis Missouri

You actually go underground first before you go up.
When: June 15th, 2013, It was my 30th birthday.


There is a large museum underneath the arch...under the ground.
Cost: $10/person


The doors to get on the trams were very tiny, this engineering marvel left me feeling like I was on another planet.
Why this is on my list: I didn't even realize for the longest time that you could actually go to the top...or even that you could go inside the arch. And it took a little convincing that this was even a reality. When you look at the Arch it's hard to imagine being in it. After all, it is an arch- there are no level surfaces, also what sort of device could actually take you to the top? The entire arch is curved! Another plaguing question was-it's so thin and tiny at the top where would we stand? We were in St Louis in June for my 30th Birthday and I wanted to spend my day having amazing adventures of which there is no shortage in this thriving metropolis. This was the new experience I was most excited about and so it was the first planned item at 10h in the morning.


Something I'd recommend? Absolutely. The Gateway arch and the trams that take you to the top are unlike anything in the world  it's one of those things you just have to see to believe. This is a must if you're in St Louis. Although if you have a problem containing yourself in small spaces and/or heights this may be more of a worst case scenario.

View from the top!
Will I do it again?  I'm sure this does not come as a surprise but I was slightly frightened during this entire experience. From the moment we entered the line underground to wait for our tram to the top I kept a tight hold on anything I could grab onto and for the next hour I slithered my way around the arch. By that I mean that my feet did not leave the surface beneath me, especially when we got to the top which is arched-the viewing area is not a level area to stand on. So I felt very vulnerable in this tiny space so far away from Mother Earth.....I guess my main fear was that I would fall and roll like a donut hole all the way down the emergency staircase to the very bottom. Even though I had a death grip on my husbands arm I did really enjoy spending the morning of my 30th birthday on this unique experience. I think that this trepidatious traveler gets so nervous because I don't know what to expect, I'll feel more at ease next time, the elevator pod or 'tram' that takes you to the top moves very slow and to my knowledge in 50 years there has never been any 'incidents' of any sorts on the journey to the top of the world's tallest arch.

Inside the small tram that seats 6 I get a tight hold on my so she wouldn't roll away either.






Related post:



2 comments:

  1. Aww, it does look cool! Sounds like great fun, albeit a little nerve wracking for you! The views are fantastic and its such a cool thing to do. What a great start to your bday:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could get myself under control and dive into these life list adventures the way I did when I was 18....but it was a very cool way to being my 30th birthday nonetheless!

      Delete

I'd really love to hear your thoughts! Comments will post after moderation.

You might also like....