Tuesday, November 1, 2011

LIFE LIST: SEE A BLACK SAND BEACH



LIFE LIST: STAND BAREFOOT ON THE BLACK SAND BEACH


Where: Hawaii


When: August 2009


Why I wanted to do this: My grandma had told me about it.


Cost: Free-after you get yourself to Hawaii


How I paid for it: - I wasn't that broke, I could still afford things that were free!


What I would do differently: Spend a whole day there, reading, sun soaking, having lunch, have cocktails, I really wish I would have spent more time on that incredible beach.


Something I would recommend? Without a doubt! It's one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen!!!!!!


Would I do it again? ANYTIME! I Hope I do get to see it again one day.


Would it make a good gift? IT WOULD MAKE A GREAT SPOT FOR A DATE! OR A PROPOSAL! OR WEDDING!!!!!!


Was it life changing? I always feel like my life changes every time I see something amazing, especially when it's a natural beauty.



My review and pictures:
 The next stop on your tour would be visiting the black sand beach called Punalu’u. Pure black sand meets the crystal blue ocean. This is one of the most beautiful and unique sights to see in the world.  The sand which is actually lava, is made when hot lava entered the ocean it shattered and created the sandy texture. This is a wonderful place to have lunch, get some great pictures and see sea turtles. Where you do have the liberty to swim in the ocean at your own risk, I strongly advise against doing so. The waves are strong on this side of the island, there is no lifeguard, and it is very rocky. You would be in high danger of getting seriously injured or worse.
           You will also be tempted to take some of this black sand home with you. First of all you are not allowed to take anything from the ocean, lava or rocks and second it is believed to be very bad luck to take the lava home with you. My grandma was the first person to tell me about this, she had taken some from the island and decided to mail it back to a hotel in Hawaii after a string of misfortunes. I asked the locals who worked at the resort about this urban legend and they confirmed that there has many visitors to have done the same thing, take it home…and then mail it right back! The lava is a sight to see but it should be left where it belongs so all can enjoy and you should never temp luck anyhow. 







2 comments:

  1. Can't recall how I stumbled upon your blog, but loving your posts. Enough to browse from the beginning. The way I heard that you can bring home some black sand is when you buy it from a Hawaiian. At least the person told me it was okay when I was pondering buying a postcard that had sample of the different types of sand from the island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! Ok, that makes sense- I was wondering why I kept seeing it for sale as I had heard such taboo things about taking black sand to the mainland. I was tempted to buy some buy too afraid of risking it all!

      Thank you for the nice compliment, that means more to me than you realize! I hope you'll keep reading!!!

      Delete

I'd really love to hear your thoughts! Comments will post after moderation.

You might also like....